Published on August 2nd, 2009 | by Charu Suri0
Lauren Luke at new Sephora Store in Times Square
When I was invited to take in the preview of the new Sephora store in Times Square and meet the famous Lauren Luke, I was a bit puzzled. Who indeed was Lauren? A quick Google and You Tube search revealed her “social media” fame.
Lauren Luke at the newly opened Sephora Store in Times Square (42nd and Broadway)
Beauty maven Lauren Luke became UK’s darling and You Tube sensation virtually overnight, with over 50 million views and 240,000 subscribers across 70 countries. She’s a 27 year old single mom from England who tapped into the power of new media by creating makeup tutorials using her web cam in her bedroom.
Lauren has a great sense of humor and her accent trips me up. Check out her new “Vintage Glams” palette makeup tutorial HERE.
Her new collection is at www.bylaurenluke.com and Sephora exclusively, and features a number of gorgeous, everyday and glam palettes (they’re available only at Sephora.com and at the new Times Square Location at 42 and Broadway on July 31st…in Sept. the palettes will roll out to 135 Sephora locations nationwide, at which time Lauren will unveil new versions of each kit and introduce a new lighter lip gloss in pink called My Glossy Lips).
The kits are really phenomenal. Here are the different versions ($32 each):
- My Smokey Classics (I’ve reviewed the smokey eye below). The emphasis is on the smokey eye, of course, flushed cheeks and luscious lips.
- My Vintage Glams: the spotlight is on glam eyes, pinched cheeks and gorge lips.
- My Fierce Violets: you guessed it — purple is the color of the palette. I love the dark lip colors in this ensemble.
- My Sultry Blues: blue eyeshadow brightens the eye and the maroon lippies lend pout infrastructure to this luminous look.
- My Luscious Greens: you don’t have to be Kermit to sport green; it’s very in for the summer and fall. Create an aura of mystery when you sweep some green powder over your paupieres.
Here is my version of the smokey eye using My Smokey Classics:
Start with the Nude Slip Light or Nude Slip Dark eyeshadow PRIMER. Use it all over the eyes as needed because you need something to make the pigment stick.
Then, using a full eyeshadow brush, sweep the eyeshadow in Antique Pewter (a lovely light purple/ silver color) all over the eyes, including a bit on the inner corner to create a lovely glint).
Then use a DAB (we mean a dab) of the eyeshadow in Twilight Ash and brush it on the outer corner of the eye and gradually coat the eyelid with it.
The use the Cream Eye Liner in Raven Black to create a thin, defined line along your eyelid, and add a coat of mascara to your lashes. You’re all set!