Published on February 20th, 2013 | by Charu Suri1
Winter Activities To Enjoy in New York City
New York in the wintertime is not simple your dose of Rockefeller Center, window displays and skating rinks. While everyone is cheery and shopping for mulling spices for adults and American Girl dolls for their little ones, the city is busy functioning like the well-oiled machine that it is. I really enjoy the four seasons, but being layered in cashmere, coats and mittens is not my idea of fun but yet, like Le Petit Prince I wonder at how many magical things this city offers to those who are willing to explore.
I for one, really enjoy strolling in the parks in the quiet, crisp winter evenings, even though I’m fully buttoned and mittened. But every day, I learn how surprising my city can be. Here are a few experiences you may not have thought of to pursue in New York City in the winter:
- The Museum Mile, studded with giants like The Metropolitan Museum and the Guggenheim is always a good idea. My personal favorite is the intimate Frick, which feels palatial, European, yet American. The Museum Mile actually has the coolest block party that takes place in June called The Museum Mile Festival;
- Pursue sports: Yankee fans can sit and cheer in the new Stadium, and there’s always ice hockey at Madison Square Garden;
- Theater tickets are aplenty, and if you’re reluctant to splurge on full priced goods, stand in line TKTS, and grab a hot cup of coffee or cocoa from the freshly-installed vendors in Times Square;
- If you’re keen on brushing up your English in New York, Kaplan has a language school in the Empire State Building. Now you can put your idioms to the test while you’re on top of the world—in New York City, at least;
- Head out to the great outdoors in nearby areas including the Catskills and Finger Lakes region –who says California gets to have all the outdoors fun in the winter?
- Head out to make some old-fashioned pottery: our friends at Our Name is Mud will give you all the tools you need and you can paint mugs, bowls and other items in New York City colors (or any colors you fancy).
- Go skating in several rinks the city offers, including the popular Wollman rink, where you can rent a pair of skates and practice your triple axles or show of your balancing skills.
What are your favorite winter activities to do in New York City?